March 12, 2006

Corpsman Up



This poem is dedicated to all the men who were wounded or died during what was called "The Vietnam Conflict". I know it was war. The men whose names are on this wall knew it was war.

I also dedicate this poem to all who proudly served, and to all the "Doc's" who gave Everything they had, and more.

To my brothers… "Doc" Paine




Corpsman up!
The blood is flowing
The bullets are flying all around
But a man lay gravely wounded
Can't you hear his mournful sound?
Corpsman up!
He's out of his hole and crawling
Mortars are falling all around
But a man lay gravely wounded
Can't you hear his mournful sound?
Corpsman up!
The cordite and smoke is sickening
Fifty yards.. so near.. yet so far
But a man lay gravely wounded
Can't you hear his mournful sound?
Corpsman up!
Now you can almost touch him
But lie there is all he does
But a man lay gravely wounded
Why can't I hear his mournful sound?
Corpsman up!
Now, at last, you reach him
A faint breath is all that you see
Yes, the man lay gravely wounded
Just a gurgle, no mournful sound
Corpsman up!
My leg, what's causing that burning?
Grab a hold and drag him to me
Yes the man is gravely wounded
Stop the death rattle sound!
Corpsman up!
Cover the hole and start dragging him back now
I can hear the covering fire
Yes, the man is gravely wounded
I don't hear the death rattle sound
Corpsman up!
Only twenty yards to go now
Then I know we'll be doing
OK Yes, the man is gravely wounded
Battle is now the only sound
Corpsman up!
Now, get the IV's in him
Some morphine for his pain
Yes, the man is gravely wounded
A chopper is the only sound
Corpsman up!
"Doc, lay back down on that stretcher
Yea, you're guy is doing all right"
But you both are gravely wounded
That was the last sound
Corpsman Up!
I look at all the names
That are written on the black wall
They all were gravely wounded
But these men gave their all
So many years have passed by
But the pain never seems to go away
My heart feels like it is breaking
As I stand here today
I am standing in a cemetery
American flags all around
They're bugling Taps in the distance I
can hear that mournful sound

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home