June 18, 2006

SSgt Chambers USMC


Staff Sergeant Chambers,

I, like a majority of Rolling Thunder, Tennessee Chapter
4, am in total awe of your performance at the Run for The Wall 2004!
I'm sure you have heard hundreds, if not thousands, of praises and accolades for your tribute, but please a moment to read one more.

When my wife and I rode by you in the first wave of bikes, it brought tears to our eyes. After we completed the run, we rode back up to the Washington Monument, parked, and walked toward Thunder Alley, near where you were posted. It was about 2pm when we took the photo attached. We were all in complete shock to see you, the very same Marine, still standing his post. We toured Thunder Alley and as we left about 3pm to head out of DC, we stopped and spent a few moments watching you again, making that our lasting memory of our first Run for the Wall. A few nights ago, I read the article published in the New Hampshire, Chapter 1 Newsletter, I immediately woke my wife up and had her read the article.

We sat here speechless learning that you took this task completely upon yourself, no orders, no commands, no relief, just a great man doing a great thing just for us. Your singularly noble act is quite frankly, beyond compare.

Should you find it within yourself to undertake the same task in 2005, we will be there when the last bike passes and I would consider it an honor and a privilege to shake the hand of one of the greatest men I have never met. Your selfless act of reverence and respect for veterans stands as an example for all Americans. It is my sincere hope that you are the shining example that your entire generation chooses as its role model.

Finally, there is one thing I must say to you that I have never said nor written to anyone before: Semper Fi!

Sincerely and with great respect,

Dean S. Nash
First Sergeant, US Army
Retired

Response:

Your kind words and prior service act as an inspiration for me to take the hill, and is the reason I stand tall and lead from the front as a leader of Marines should do. This Country needs to see my pain, and sacrifice as I demonstrate a small, yet monumental act of respect towards others, a salute of compassion. I hope to inspire them to reach out to fellow Americans, and have them demonstrate just an ounce of my sacrifice and compassion. Ammunition is a very important thing it sometimes acts as a tool to help us get where we are going, I also feel there are rounds that we all need to posses and they are called rounds of morality. These fire much more true and can be even more piercing than real led. I need to reach out to citizens and have them lock and load and stand at the ready for the healing to begin.

It is my honor to stand before you and show you that your sacrifice and the sacrifice of our brothers that have fallen will never go in vain. Your answer to our country's call to duty came with a very heavy price. I will never rest until you receive all your benefits that Uncle Sam promised you. I will never take a benefit from the VA before you receive yours. When Veterans passed by me on the motorcycle, I didn't see middle aged Americans pass by me. I saw young men and women with a common cause riding by. I saw you as if you were my troops unloading out of my hello as I was sending them to war, one more beach to take before we can rest, that beach is one of many holes, and never ending political sand traps. I will inspire that ounce of compassion within the politicians. I will re-light their torches. I will remind them of the key they posses that unlocks that door of promises to vets of their honorable and faithful service to our Nation. This is not a line I want the Veteran to receive only when they die. I have said it to many times at funerals, and I often wonder if this country ever really paid their dues to this man or his family that lies before me, so I give the most genuine "this flag is presented to you on the behalf of a grateful nation, as a token of our appreciation, for the honorable and faithful service of your husband ...................... I then add,,,,, your family is in our prayers and may he rest in peace...... I guess he can say he finally got his peace, and the pain finally went away, heck it may have been even quicker than it would of taken to get the prescription at the VA,,,, or even diagnosed at the VA first off. Since when is having to go the Hospital a day trip? Technology we have should be able to pay for any hospital to receive the Veteran and care for them. too much common sense or what?

I don't mean to ramble on and I may use parts of this email to email other Veterans but your the first. :) I just want you to know that I have the grid coordinates on the mission, it is kind of amazing to wonder how all this sits in my heart but it does. I am in tune with the past, and care for our family, and respect my elders. Please do not hesitate to forward this to Veterans to let them know, or concerned citizens.

Semper Fi, Motivated SSgt Chambers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home